What are the Benefits of Independent Living?November 29, 2017
Preparing Seniors in an Independent Living Community for the WinterDecember 21, 2017
The holiday season is a remarkable time filled with family gatherings, parties, and plenty of delicious treats. It’s important, however, to keep in mind that all these desserts can affect a senior’s health. It’s also critical that seniors have plenty of rest and stay hydrated. Below are several tips you can follow to make sure your relative has a happy and healthy holiday.
- Because there will be a wide variety of desserts available, it’s important for senior citizens not to overload their plates. Seniors should eat nuts and fruit, or anything filled with fiber before attending a holiday party.
- Seniors should bring their own healthy appetizers so they aren’t eating too many fruitcakes or pies or filling up on eggnog.
- Bringing a bottle of water will also help with dehydration. When senior citizens aren’t hydrated, they could potentially suffer health consequences.
- Senior citizens need to make sure not to mix alcohol with their medications, as it can cause major complications.
- It can be stressful for seniors to cook, clean, and entertain guests. Having a granddaughter, grandson, son, or daughter host the holiday tradition, will allow the senior to sit back and relax.
- Traveling during the holidays can be very tiring for seniors. Offer the option of taking a nap or watching TV after travel. An older relative will most likely want to rest after traveling all day.
- If you’re having an older relative over for the holidays, make sure your home is safe. Be aware of any dents in the floors, rugs that could be easy to trip over, and steps covered with ice. Offer your older relative a room close to the bathroom, and include a nightlight in the room or hallway.
By following the tips above, you can increase the chance that your relative will feel secure during the holidays. If you’re looking for an independent living care community or assisted living care community in Marlborough, give us a call at 508.460.5200 to schedule a tour. Our independent living community allows retirees to enjoy their independence while still having assistance when necessary. Come enjoy our activities, indulge in our delicious cuisine, and meet our amazing residents.